Fast Facts on Apologetics & Evangelism – Part III
- Last week we looked at why some of the popular postmodern views on evangelism and apologetics are flawed in light of the biblical admonitions on these topics.
- However, there are other flawed beliefs about apologetics and evangelism within the Church today, such as the Defensive approach, where some Christians believe we should not proactively engage the non-Christian world, but we should insulate ourselves from the culture around us.
- The Defensive approach creates a barricade mentality or a Christian subculture in order to avoid being influenced or corrupted by the non-Christian world around us.
- This Defensive approach to the Christian faith is flawed though in light of biblical truth. For example, 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 tells us that our spiritual warfare is not defensive in nature, but offensive. This is echoed in Ephesians 6:10-18 where the apostle Paul tells us that the spiritual armor of the believer is also offensive in nature. Notice, there is no armor mentioned there to cover our backsides!
- In order to fulfill the Great Commission (Mt. 28:18-20) the Christian cannot embrace a Defensive approach to the world around us. We must be proactively engaged in contending for the faith.
For more information on apologetics and evangelism please check out the book, Apologetics For A New Generation, available in our online store.