Fast Facts on the Origins of the Jehovah’s Witness
New World Translation
- The New World Translation is the name of the Bible used by Jehovah’s Witnesses around the world. They claim it is a scholarly translation of the Scriptures from the Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic languages.
- The New World Translation was originally released in six volumes between 1950 and 1961 when the Jehovah’s Witnesses completed their translation.
- The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (the legal organization that directs the beliefs and practices of all Jehovah’s Witnesses) to this day refuse to divulge the names and credentials of the translators of The New World Translation. They claim that the translation committee requested anonymity out of humility.
- In the years following its publication however, former Jehovah’s Witnesses have made known the identities of the translators of The New World Translation, they were: Frederick Franz (then Vice President of the JWs), Nathan Knorr (then President of the JWs), Albert Schroeder, George Gangas, and Milton Henschel.
- None of these men possessed the educational background or qualifications to serve as reliable, scholarly translators of the Bible from the original languages. In fact, Frederick Franz, the chief translator on the committee, under oath during a trial in Scotland in 1954, could not even translate a single English verse from the book of Genesis into Hebrew.
- Given what we now know about the translation committee, the ongoing refusal of the Watchtower Organization to acknowledge the translators’ names or credentials, and the fact that no reputable scholar of the ancient languages has ever endorsed The New World Translation, this book must be rejected as a false and deceptive manipulation of the true Scriptures revealed by God.
For more information on the Jehovah’s Witnesses please check out Dr. Carlson’s book, Fast Facts On False Teachings, available in our online store.
Follow CMI on Twitter at @jasoncarlsoncmi.